Summer Quilt Finishes

Hello and welcome to CraftPaws, a photo journal of my crafting endeavors, both the failures and the successes!  I finally downloaded photos from my camera to my computer yesterday, so I'll start by posting pix of two small quilts that I completed over the summer.


I'm calling this one Jumbled Critters.  It was pieced almost 15 years ago from flannel remnants as an experiment to see how easy it would be to piece flannel.  The top sat for years in my box full of tops waiting to be finished because I wasn't sure how to back a flannel top.  I usually back my quilts with flannel but didn't want both sides to be flannel.  When someone suggested using fleece without batting, I decided to try that.  I sewed a thick fleece to the flannel in the early Eleanor Burns' fashion of "birthing a quilt."  Once everything was right-side-out, I stitched three rows of zigzag stitching around the edge to serve as a border. My machine fussed a bit about sewing through the thickest spots, but everything else turned out well.


Here's a closer look at the fabrics: a dog print, a cat print, a collection of stuffed animals, and colorful hand prints.  I sewed squares and rectangles into 6.5" blocks, then sewed the blocks together in random order creating a jumbled mess of critters.


I liked the fleece backing so well that I decided to try it with a regular cotton pieced top. Snails in My Garden was made from a charm pack and leftovers from my stash.  It's backed with a thinner fleece than the critter fleece above.  I chose not to use batting in this one either because I wanted to see if it would work without batting.  And I used traditional binding around the edges on this one (much easier, imho).  The result is a nice summer weight quilt -- it's light and easy to handle yet warm enough for a chilly evening when it's not really cold enough to turn on the heater or build a fire.  And the backing fabric does not show through to the front side.  I think I'll be using fleece a lot in the future.

Comments